Thursday, March 5, 2009

In a funk means: I love JAPAN!

Tati: Today I’m having problems motivating myself (that’s why no movie of the week this week, we watched the best one so far but I didn’t feel like writing about it. It will be up next Wednesday).



Mel taught me that I’m "in a funk". I think that is the coolest think I’ve ever heard. “I’m in a funk”. That should mean something else, like “Groovy baby!”



Mel: Funk – verb v. funked, funk•ing, funks : to shrink from undertaking or facing "depression, ill-humor," 1743, probably originally Scottish and northern English, earlier as a verb, "panic, fail through panic," (1737), said to be 17c. Oxford University slang, perhaps from Flem. fonck "perturbation, agitation, distress," possibly related to O.Fr. funicle "wild, mad." (Sounds like Fuck to me – wild mad agitation & distress) – In a Funk – (example provided by random internet person) grumpy and disengaged from life in general, lethargic with motivation in such low gear that it becomes barely noticeable. Spinning wheels going nowhere, and locked in place.



Tati: Then, following the randomness of my relationship with Mel, I decided to Google “I’m in a funk” and the results were all depressing. Since seeing depressing people is funnier than reading them, I decided to Google-image “I’m in a funk”. Best idea I’ve ever had! You know why? It took me to one of my favorite things. JAPAN!



Mel: From Funk to Funky in 1 easy step (and no I’m not talking about the smell) Ashes to Ashes - it’s more relevant than one would expect.



Tati: The image that did it was this one:







It was from a blog about a guy who was also in a funk and “just not feeling it”. He said he was posting some Pizzicato Five songs because Pizzicato Five makes him happy. All things JAPAN makes me happy – girls in marine uniforms and panties sniffing aside - and Pizzicato Five brings back some good memories from my teen years. Like this one:









Mel: I only count 3, where's the cat, and the name is called Pizza cat Five? Do not let Elvis find out about this one, or he`ll complain. Yes she is skinny, the lyrics are great, the video hypnotizes and scares me at the same time. Much like most hypnosis I suspect.



Tati: Holy shit I love JAPAN!



Mel: Me too, I don’t care if it’s fashionable or not, don’t care. You hear me DO NOT CARE. Where else can you find things that are adorably cute, extremely disturbing, sickeningly bizarre, greatly confusing, all served with a huge dose of ritual. I prefer to embrace it.





Tati: This thing alone boosted my mood through the roof. I’m smiling like a clown now and downloading everything there is to download from them. I had their CD at some point but I have no idea what happened to it. And it gets better. The lyrics are just amazing:



sanjikan mo matte ita no yo

watashi neko to issho ni



sono toki denwa no beru ga

watashi neko mitai ni shabetta

terebi no volume sagete

watashi uso mitai na koe de



twiggy no mini skirt de

twiggy mitai na pose de

twiggy no mini skirt de

twiggy mitai ni yassepochi no watashi



now in English:



I was waiting for about three hours

My cat and I



At the time the phone rang

And I chatted away just like my cat

I turned down the TV and

Talked in a fake voice



In a Twiggy mini-skirt

In a Twiggy-like pose

In a Twiggy mini-skirt

Skinny like Twiggy, that's me



And she IS skinny like a twiggy! Fuck yeah man now I’m in a fucking GREAT mood! So let’s talk JAPAN!



Mel: Wait…like Twiggy I get but what does that have to do with chatting away like her cat? Oh yeah. First rule of Japan – don’t try to understand it. Just go with it.



Tati: But before that a quick detour. I was just checking all my friends “status” at Gtalk/MSN and you guys are also boosting my mood. I’ll quote the status here, no particular order:



“Don’t dodge, counter”

“Me speak good ingliss”

“I love the smell of whiskey in the morning”

“Fraciscan whorewood”

“Life is tough. It’s tougher when you are stupid”

“Still amazing...It’s hard to be humble”

and of course ALWAYS amusing Mel's status:

"...designed to please a cook with round bottom for efficient beating"



Mel: Here I’ll share some from my list:



"Keep calling - Eventually at least Nature will Answer"

"Sane, and therefore a little bit crazy"

"If you're happy and you know it clap your hands.....*cri cri cri*"

"No one gets out of life alive"



Tati: We should post those more often.



OK! Back to Japan... Also searching the interwebs, I found this Japanese vending machine:







How do you pick up your "prize"? I can see they have this “grabber” there and you probably throw it somewhere after grabbing it, but then how do you actually pick it up? I understand lobsters can be kinda dangerous. The Interwebs told me that: “The main danger from lobsters is from their claws. The claws of lobsters are very powerful, and can easily break a finger or even an arm if you are handling a large lobster.”



Now those lobsters are floating there in that machine probably bored and pissed off. If I was one of those raging lobsters, the first think I would want to do is break some fingers. FOH SURE! And that’s the perfect set up too, because you have to put your hand in that whole to pick up your “prize”.



Mel: Ready for the irony? You have to get your lobster with a CLAW! Just like those “games” with the stuffed animals and candy? Although, I think Japan offers many great vending options Unique Vending Machines of Japan For Example: Eggs, Flowers, Hot Popcorn, Flight Insurance, Beer, Dry Ice.







Tati: Another thing I love about JAPAN is that they have no boundaries whatsoever. They will do whatever they want in public, make a TV show about it and spread it through the world. They just don’t care and I take that they don’t judge either. We all think Japanese people are crazy. They are not, they just do what we all want to do but feel guilty about doing it. And they are proud of it! And I support the cause YEAH!



Mel: Ironic coming from such a “repressed” society.



Tati: Yeah, let's not get there. As we know, people are just plain stupid. This one is my favorite person in JAPAN. He brings joy to the people. If you watch the whole thing I am sure it will lift your spirit. I love how people don’t care about what others are thinking and they take pictures and dance along with him.







Here is more of him:







He’s name is Danny Choo and he is one of my heroes you can check out his awesome blog about Japan and good vibes here.



JAPAN also has amazing workout programs:



Mel: Ohhh yes, One of my favorites is the Ex-fat girl made for the 2004 Olympics….why?







Tati: WOW!









Am I the only one here learning the whole choreography? I doubt it!



Mel: Japan has a cool tradition of every morning doing “radio exercises” supposedly started after WWII to create a sense of “unity” and to help encourage good Health. Every morning, companies and schools prefer morning exercises, but communities and neighborhoods also get together and do them as well. When I lived in Japan they would be broadcast over a loudspeaker for the whole neighborhood.







Tati: They had more on YouTube but I can’t find them anymore. If you are really interested on improving your English and your health, you can search for “Zuiikin English”.



Mel: Don’t forget about Maritan and learning to speak English like a Marine!! (Complete with audio tracks)





Tati: And what about Japanese kids? They are so cute and bad ass!







Take this kid here, he didn’t even flinch! If I was standing there I would have pissed my pants (in my current age, yes). That’s freaky man! FREAKY!



Mel: What is freaky is a culture so obsessed with robots that, that video is probably tame. Realistic Womanbot



Tati: CREE-PEEE. But even better is what the Japanese parents do to their kids:







I can’t wait to have kids and invite a bunch of their friends and make them race in all sorts of funny ways. And believe me I’ll do it!



Mel: I have no doubt.







Tati: HAHAHA "horrific blood sport".



And of course, we can’t talk about JAPAN without thinking of sushi.



Mel: I so want to buy the little plastic versions of the food that they display in restaurant windows so you can “see” what you are ordering instead of looking at a menu.





Iwasaki sells it, but I think I need to find a closer supplier or better – just go to Japan!







Tati: Japanese people are so cool they make fun of you and you don’t even notice. And by you I mean everybody else who is not Japanese. Here is their superior way of telling you that you are stupid:







Also this:







And to wrap it up and prove once more that JAPAN is made of love and superior beings, the ultimate JAPAN cool thing:





Bentō !!!! Aside from being cute they are part of JAPAN’s tradition. You can check some of Bentō history on this link and see some super cute ones on my favourite Bentō website.

I will leave you with some funny random Japanese...to be honest I don’t know what these are. ENJOY!















Mel: That makes me think of Nato. One of the more disgusting/disturbing things from Japan on my list, apparently an aquired taste – Tati seemed to approved of rotten beans.



Tati: YEAH, right...thanks for the headache again Vivis!



No comments:

Post a Comment